Friday, February 1, 2008

25-Cent Wings > Ovechkin > Cloverfield

What better way to get back on the blogwagon than with a recap of the latest Flames-Sharks donnybrook and my Jack & Coke enhanced trip to the Caps-Habs game? I'm glad you agree.

Now, I'll be honest, Wednesday was 25-cent wings night at Stetson's, just a scant 2 blocks from the 400 square feet of space I call home. So, after going for a pre-gorge run, I sat down at the bar, ordered a PBR draft, and basically resigned myself to missing a good chunk of the game. I mean, why would a bar in DC with three TVs be showing the Flames-Sharks game? Makes no sense.

But then, in mid-conversation with my friend (thanks Rach, I owe you $30), I noticed that the olde tyme TV at the end of the bar was showing a hockey game. The Caps were off that night so it couldn't be them, and a basketball game had been on the TV earlier (no idea who was playing) so I assumed it was just the next game on that channel and paid it no mind. Until that is, I saw the score. San Jose 1, Calgary 0. Whaaaaaaa? The TV is tuned to FSN Bay Area? It was all very confusing, but a pleasant surprise, despite the score at the time. So I was able to watch most of Owen Nolan turn-back-the-clock night (first hat trick since the Clinton administration, or Chretien administration in Canada) and made it home in time to watch the Flames nearly squander a 3-goal lead as they ended up winning 5-4.

And if you think this is all just pretense to post a grainy cell phone picture of a pyramid of chicken wing bones, then congratulations, you are correct:




Twenty wings right there kids, that's Black Widow-esque.

Now then, on to last night's trip to the Verizon Center. Basically, I'm willing to concede best player in the world status to Alex Ovechkin, even if I do think Iggy is the most complete player in the league. But OV is a freak. How the Habs left him wide open for a one-timer on the game's first goal I'll never know. It was a goal by the time it left Milan Jurcina's stick on the cross-ice pass; the shot was simply unstoppable. And then OV followed up with three more scores, including the OT game winner. Just a ridiculous performance where he was ten times better than anyone else on the ice. I'm still not sure how I missed the score going from 4-2 to 4-3, which led to the Habs eventually tying it up at 4 with a little over 30 seconds left to play, but I'll take a booze fueled mini-blackout like that anytime if it means seeing a performance like I saw last night. It even made the decision to see Cloverfield after the game seem reasonable. SPOILER ALERT.....



The Cloverfield people were retarded, they deserved to die.

No comments: